About DSN-MUI Institute
Islamic Financial Institution (IFI) is evolving rapidly and continues to expand and serve a growing population of Muslims as well as conventional, non-Muslim investors. To strengthen its growth and expansion, IFI requires proponents and stalwarts that provide development, supervision, and advice to perform well and sustainably.
Indonesian Ulama Council (MUI) has supported the IFI by establishing the National Sharia Board – Indonesian Ulama Council (DSN-MUI) on February 10th, 1999. DSN-MUI is in charge to issue fatwa on Islamic finance and oversee its implementation with the intention of Islamic financial advancement in Indonesia.
DSN-MUI has presently produced 141 fatwas that include banking and non-banking aspects, capital market, and general contracts in Islamic financial law. To supervise its enforcement
DSN-MUI has Sharia Supervisory Board (DPS) as the extra organizational structure which is on duty to advise and take into consideration the practice of Islamic law in financial institutions.
B. DSN-MUI Institute
Law Number 40 of 2007 on Limited Liability Company acknowledges the existence of Sharia Supervisory Board. Article 109 states: (1) The Company having its business activities based on then Sharia principle, other than having a Board of Commissioners, shall also be obliged to have Sharia Supervisory Board.apat Uumum Pemegang Saham (RUPS) (2) The Sharia Supervisory Board as referred to in paragraph (1), shall consist of 1 (one) or more Sharia experts, appointed by the General Meeting of Shareholders based on the recommendation of the Indonesian Ulama Council. (3) The Sharia Supervisory Board as referred to in paragraph (1) shall have the duty to provide advice and suggestions to the Board of Directors, as well as to supervise the activities of the Company to comply with the Sharia principle..
To supply and educate the Sharia Supervisory Board, DSN-MUI has compiled the Indonesian National Work Competency Standards (SKKNI) of Sharia Supervision which has been legitimized by the Ministry of Employment.
DSN-MUI Institute, one of the organizational structures of DSN-MUI, becomes the center of education, professional training, and literacy for Sharia Supervisory Board candidates.
C. Legal Basis
- The Constitution of the Republic of Indonesia 1945
- Law Number 13 of 2003 on Employment
- Law Number 40 of 2007 on Limited Liability Company
- Decree of the Minister of Employment Number 25 of 2007 on Indonesian National Work Competency Standards of Sharia Supervision
- The Fundamental Guidelines and the Technical Guidelines of Indonesian Ulama Council is legalized by the Notarial Deed Number 034 on April 15th, 2014, and the Decree of Minister of Law and Human Rights Number AHU-00085.60.10.2014 and its amendment based on National Forum IX MUI 2015.
- Peraturan Organisasi Majelis Ulama Indonesia Nomor: 11/PO-MUI/II/2018 tentang Anggaran Dasar Dan Anggaran Rumah Tangga Dewan Syariah Nasional-Majelis Ulama Indonesia;
- Decree of the Leadership Board of Indonesian Ulama Council Number: Kep-146/DP-MUI/XII/2020 on Composition and Personnel of the National Sharia Board-Indonesian Ulama Council for the Service Period 2020-2025
- Decree of National Sharia Board-Indonesian Ulama Council Number: KEP-26/DSN-MUI/VIII/2017 on Sharia Supervisory Competency Certification for Sharia Supervisory Board
D. Vision and Mission
Center of education, training, and literacy for fatwa of National Sharia Board-Indonesian Ulama Council
- To organize the professional trainings of fatwa on Islamic finance for Sharia Supervisory Board candidates
- To provide the basic trainings of fatwa and Islamic financial law for practitioners, academic community, and stakeholders.
- To introduce and promote fatwa on Islamic finance issued by the National Sharia Board-Indonesian Ulama Council to financial institutions and society.
- To cooperate with governmental and non-governmental institutions in educating and promoting the fatwa on Islamic finance.
- To manage a professional and accountable educational institute.